Friday 14 September 2012

A Haiku and a Limerick

A Peaceful Day (Haiku)

A big buzzing bee
Flies softly through the green grass
And lands on a tree

Sonny (Limerick)

My horses name is Sonny
Sometimes he acts really funny
He likes to spin
And I love when we win
Especially when he jumps like a bunny











           The form of my Haiku, A Peaceful Day, definitely plays a big part in the content. In a Haiku, the form is about syllables, 5 in the first line, 7 in the second, and 5 in the third. This usually makes the poem a little deeper than most limericks, and that's how I feel about mine too. A Haiku is meant to leave you with a feeling, and sometimes even a lasting impression. While referring to nature, a summers day, I feel like I was able to capture a sense of peace in the warm summer air. While the actual content of the poem was not all that serious, I feel as though the form added to the inner meaning. The short, descriptive lines leave the reader with a picture of each scene in their minds. This is effective because they hopefully will be able to connect this with a day they experienced in their own lives, and therefore resurrect how they felt at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment