Tuesday 27 November 2012

Open Letter

Dear Sonny,

I'm writing this letter to you today to tell you about our time together. We have been through so much and I would like you to have this so you know how much you mean to me.

I remember the first time I seen you. I was 12 years old and I was making the switch to a different barn to continue my riding lessons. My first thought was Equine Meadows seeing I had such a great experience attending riding lessons there as a child. I remember looking at pictures of all the horses that I would be riding in lessons and all of the sudden I came across a horse I had never seen before. I was instantly fascinated, as he was so beautiful. It was you! 

Soon after, my lessons began. I immediately asked if I could ride you but I was told that it was too dangerous for someone at my level. You were a little crazy to say the least, and many experienced riders had taken spills off of your back. But I was persistent, and after a few weeks, I finally got the chance. Our experience levels were actually pretty similar. We were both very green, a combination that very rarely mixed. However, everyone was amazed at how well we did together - earning me many more chances to ride you. Even though you still enjoyed to be more than a little silly while being ridden, you always took care of me when I was riding, and I did my best to do the same for you. 

As time went on, I began to lease you. This was a chance I took as I still wasn't quite at the level that most people are when they start leasing. Because of this, so many people expressed many ignorant opinions - and that's putting it lightly. But I was determined to prove them wrong. Many rides, and many tears shed into your mane later, people stopped talking. They didn't have a reason too anymore because we more than proved them wrong.

You have become something that no one thought you would. All those people that said you had "no potential" are eating their words. You have worked so hard and turned yourself into a horse that is a joy to ride and I'm so proud to have been a part of that. Clinicians have went from saying that you are "never going anywhere" to saying they "can't wait to see where you are going". And I have gone from believing that you can be something, to seeing you transform into what I knew you could be all along. We have both come so far, and it's exciting to think that we still have so far to go.

I love you forever - never forget that,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment