Tuesday 27 November 2012

Flash Fiction


Took a deep breath in the mirror, he didn't like it when I wore high heels, but I do

It was a windy night as I stepped out of my little bug onto the cold streets of New York city. I had my favorite dress on and my hair curled just perfectly - it was going to be a good night. I was meeting my boyfriend of two years at our favorite restaurant, hoping this would be the night that he would bring a ring.

Turned the lock and put my headphones on, he always said he didn't get this song, but I do, I do

Thinking about everything my friends were telling me about him, I walked down the street to pick him up a coffee from the little street cart he loved so much. I knew they were wrong, he loved me, and he was the one. That was when I saw him - kissing another woman as he put her into a cab.

Walked in expecting you'd be late, but you got here early and you stand and wave, I walk to you

I quickly turned and walked the other way. My head spinning from all the accusations that I'd heard about him. They were all true. Finally it all made sense, this was never right, it couldn't have been. After walking for what seemed like an eternity, I turned and stepped into a little cafe I had never seen before.

You pull my chair out and help me in, and you don't know how nice that is, but I do

After ordering a cafe mocha I sat down in a little booth and just contemplated my life for the last few years. It had been such a joke, how did I do this to myself? What does that make me? I was starting to think of how I must have pushed him to do this, how it must be my own fault, and I was just going to have to try harder. That's when you sat down across from me.

And you throw your head back laughing like a little kid, I think it's strange that you think I'm funny cause he never did

You said that I looked like I needed someone to talk to. I came close to spilling my heart out to you at that very moment, but then you noticed what I was drinking and made a joke about how I should just pick one or the other. Quickly defending myself with some witty comment, I suddenly caught a glimpse of the old me. One I hadn't known I had lost.

I've been spending the last eight months, thinking all love ever does is break and burn and end

And so we talked. And talked. And talked. Joking and laughing more in those few short hours than I had in what seemed like a lifetime. It seemed like such a simple concept, to really enjoy myself, why hadn't I realized it sooner? Suddenly, it was clear how dysfunctional he was, not me. My only mistake was letting him break me. Five minutes before I had been so sure that I would never love again...

But on a Wednesday, in a cafe, I watched it begin again

...But on a Wednesday, in a cafe, I watched it begin again.

<3

Lyrics from Taylor Swift's Begin Again.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you put this story together around the frame of the lyrics. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete